Sat 10
Hall Road Rangers
Goole AFC
R Waud (30'), (50'), J Schofield (69')
Vikings Progress In FA Cup

Vikings Progress In FA Cup

By Dave Oldridge
Share via

The road to Wembley started on Saturday when Hall Road Rangers played host to Goole AFC at Haworth Park in the 2019/20 Emirates FA Cup Extra-Preliminary Round.

Match Report: Lee Jamison

The Vikings, who are a league above Hall Road Rangers after relegating them on the final day of last season, came into the match fresh off the back of last weeks 6-0 demolition of Athersley Rec, whilst Hall Road Rangers were looking to bounce back from their disappointing 3-2 defeat at home to Swallownest on the opening day of the campaign.

It was a very challenging day to play the beautiful game given the extremely windy conditions and exposed nature of the Haworth Park pitch.

Indeed, the wind raged in from end to end which meant that in the first half Hall Road Rangers would be shooting towards a wall of wind and Goole AFC would find that even softly struck through-balls would disappear off the end of the pitch. And so it proved, as it took the match 30 minutes to come to life.

Goole left-back Ashley Cooper clipped a long diagonal ball from the half way line towards the opponent’s penalty area where a defender was deceived by the ball moving in the wind. This allowed former Hall Road Rangers striker Reggie Waud to pounce. Waud coolly slotted the ball underneath the on-rushing goalkeeper to give Goole AFC the 1-0 lead.

Not satisfied with just the single goal advantage, Goole continued their bright start and Dev Newman-Morton brought a good save out of the Hall Road ‘keeper just two minutes later. Hall Road Rangers struggled to create any chances in the first half, perhaps in part due to the wall of wind they were shooting towards, but also due to the organised and well drilled defensive play by Bloor and Barwick’s side.

The half ended with Goole leading 1-0, however The Vikings knew that they would have to deal with shooting into wind in the second half, and Hall Road were buoyed by the fact they’d only conceded one given their apparent disadvantage in the first half.

However, the second-half did not follow the pattern of the first half and Goole players got to grips with the windy conditions straight from the off.

Just five-minutes into the second half, a perfectly weighted long pass by player-manager Matty Bloor found a marauding Reggie Waud who cut inside from the left wing, dribbled across the edge of the opponent’s penalty area before unleashing a well driven, low shot into the bottom corner of the Hall Road Rangers goal, making it 2-0 to Goole.

Hall Road Rangers found themselves with a fantastic chance to get themselves back into the match in the 65th minute when they had a free-kick on the edge of The Vikings penalty area. A very well-driven shot brought a fantastic save out of Sam Riches in the Goole goal, which kept the 2-goal lead intact.

The third and final goal of the match came in the 69th minute when Reggie Waud’s hattrick attempt hit the post, and the rebound was fired into the top corner by a very composed Josh Schofield.

Goole have now scored nine goals and conceded zero in their opening two matches, a stark contrast to the form of last season.

The match finished 3-0 to Goole AFC who progress to the FA Cup Preliminary round. Their opponents will either be Dunston UTS or Consett AFC who need a replay to decide the outcome of their tie.

This fixture will be played away to either opponent on Saturday 24th August. Goole AFC are running a coach to this game and anyone interested should contact club secretary Jamie Smith on 07507 612833 to book their seats.

The next match for Goole AFC is away to Thackley on Saturday 17th August at 3pm.

The next home match for the Vikings is on Tuesday 20th August vs Bottesford Town and will kick-off at 7:45pm at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 10, Aug 2019